The friendly Accommodation Officer
Our Accommodation Officer can assist with your accommodation arrangements before you arrive in Australia.
This can include:
- Homestay - a single furnished room in an Australian family home with breakfast and dinner daily, and three meals a day at weekends (minimum of four weeks). The placement fee for this service is A$240.
- Short-term on-campus Residential Colleges - either with or without meals (note: there are limited places available depending on the time of year). La Trobe Melbourne can arrange short term stays on campus Residential Colleges for a minimum of 3 nights. Please note that short-term stay is subject to availability and the time of year.
- Off-campus accommodation - including renting an apartment or house, share accommodation or private student accommodation.
La Trobe Melbourne has an Accommodation Officer to assist with homestay bookings. Homestay placements are organised and monitored by The Australian Homestay Network (AHN), Australia's largest homestay provider. AHN's national team of experienced and dedicated people who use a unique homestay website and communication system for managing homestay placements throughout Australia.
- Minimum stay of four weeks
- Includes: breakfast and dinner daily, plus lunch on the weekend; water, electricity and gas.
- Does not include: telephone, internet, transport
- Standard fee: A$285 per week
- Under 18 students: A$300 per week
Applying for on campus accommodation
On-campus residents share a unique partnership with other students and dedicated staff. On-campus accommodation supports and enhances their student experience through programs such as the academic mentoring or global programs for overseas volunteering. Before you start you must have completed registration and online application, with full payment of the required application fee ($49 AUD). La Trobe Melbourne strongly recommends that you apply as early as possible for on-campus accommodation. For students commencing in February, it is recommended to apply no later than mid-November. You need to know that:
- The Colleges (Chisholm, Menzies, Glenn) are primarily targeted for undergraduate students between the ages of 18 and 24.
- The University Lodge and Graduate House are generally more suited to postgraduate and mature age students. It provides twin share and double rooms.
- Barnes Way and Waterdale Apartments are only offered to groups. Unless applying for a one bedroom studio (Barnes Way), no individual applications will be considered.
Why choose residential colleges
- Most affordable
- Closest to Ping's Cafe
- Academic Mentoring Program
- Mini cinema
- Cultural diversity
- Meals provided daily (breakfast and dinner)
- Closest to the Library and Agora
- Sport Centre nearby
- Private Theatre
- Social Events
- Closest to the new La Trobe Melbourne Premises
- 24 Hour private Gym
- Academic support
- Own café and restaurant
If you wish to apply, here are the two steps to follow:
Please note: that submitting an application does not guarantee an offer of accommodation or that you will be offered your first preference
What area should I live in?
Suburbs closest to La Trobe University
For those who enjoy the convenience of short commutes and affordable accommodation, these suburbs provide easy access to La Trobe's campus and its facilities.
- A - La Trobe Melbourne
- B - Bundoora (Closest distance to uni, parks for BBQ, supermarkets
- C - Greensborough (Shopping Centre, train station, buses to the Airport)
- D - Heidelberg Heights ( Train Station, Austin Hospital)
- E - Macleod (Kingsbury Gardens, train station, gym)
- F - Mill Park (Stables shopping centre)
- G - Reservoir (Train station, Shops)
Suburbs mid-point between La Trobe University and the City centre
These suburbs offer a convenient middle-of-the-road alternative with good public transport options, numerous cafés, cinemas and night entertainment venues.
- A - La Trobe Melbourne
- B - Clifton Hill (Interchange train station, shops)
- C - Coburg (close to Village Drive in Cinema, shops, train station)
- D - Fairfield
- E - Alphington
- F - Northcote (variety of restaurants, train station)
- G - Preston (Preston Market, train station, shops)
- H - Thornbury (Train Station, Theatre)
Suburbs at the edge of the City
For students who enjoy the accessibility and proximity to the world's most liveable city, these suburbs offer accommodation on the right side to access La Trobe, yet are closest to the Central Business District and all the things Melbourne has to offer.
- A - La Trobe Melbourne
- B - Fitzroy (variety of restaurants)
- C - Brunswick (Restaurants and shops)
- D - Collingwood (close to Smith St, Gertrude St and the 86 tram)
- E - East Melbourne (Closest to Hoddle St and bus routes to Uni)
To find out how to get to La Trobe Melbourne by public transport please visit Public Transport Victoria
Temporary Accommodation Section
Looking for more accommodation options? Check out;