Important Visa Information
Speak to your Education Agent or the nearest Australian Diplomatic Mission for information about student visas. Student visas can take 1 to 12 weeks to be issued. For details of current student visa conditions, visit the Australian Department of Immigration and Boarder Protection (DIBP) website: www.immi.gov.au
If you cannot start your course on time, please contact La Trobe Melbourne and ask to delay your start date.
Applying for a Student Visa
On receipt of payment an (electronic) Confirmation of Enrolment (eCOE) will be sent. You will need this to complete an online application for a student visa. Ask the Australian Embassy or Consulate, or your agent what kind of visa you should apply for.
Bringing your family with you
If you bring your family with you, there are immigration requirements. Your husband or wife may study up to 3 months. If he/she wants to study more than that, they should apply for a student visa as well. Children between 5 and 18 years of age must attend school in Australia. Both government and private schools charge fees for international students. Further information can be obtained at: www.education.vic.gov.au
Conditions of your student visa
As a condition of your student visa, you must:
- Attend at least 80% of the course and make satisfactory academic progress. Students who do not attend or progress satisfactorily may be reported to DIBP
- Provide your Australian address, phone and email address to La Trobe Melbourne as soon as possible. If you change these at any time, you must inform La Trobe Melbourne immediately
- Have enough money to pay for tuition and living expenses for you, your husband /wife and any dependent children who come with you.
Under 18? You will also need an approved Carer
Students at La Trobe Melbourne who are under 18 years of age, on a student visa coming to Australia without a parent, must have an approved carer until they turn 18.
Parents must use the Nomination of Carer and Accommodation form, to choose from the following two options:
- nominate a suitable guardian who resides in Australia (via the 'Nomination of a Student Guardian' form, at the Department of Immigration and Boarder Protection office in your home country), OR
- appoint La Trobe Melbourne as the nominated carer.
- With either option the student is required to pay a carer fee.
- Students who have La Trobe Melbourne as nominated Carer must also stay in a La Trobe Melbourne approved Homestay Network.
- These arrangements must be made before a Confirmation of Enrolment will be issued.
ALL students under 18 years of age, on a student visa, studying at La Trobe Melbourne will be given special supervision and monitoring by the La Trobe Melbourne Student Counsellor, and incur the following costs (until they turn 18):
Students who have nominated La Trobe Melbourne as Carer, must also pay:
- For accommodation placement fee and weekly costs please refer to Australian Homestay website: www.homestaynetwork.org Please note: students will be required make 4 weeks of accommodation payments plus accommodation placement fees to Australian Homestay Network prior to arrival in Australia.
- Airport pickup: $120 one way and $160 return to La Trobe Melbourne.
The above fees must be paid in full to Australian Homestay Network when the student accepts the homestay offer. These fees are in addition to tuition and Overseas Student Health Cover fees.