English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) program includes General English and English for further studies (English for Academic Purposes).
For everyday use at all levels. Gain competence in:
- Core Communication skills: speaking, listening, reading and writing.
- Grammar and vocabulary development
- Enhance Computer skills
- Courses include excursions, as well as social and recreational activities
CRICOS Code 079163F
English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (known as ELICOS) includes General English and English for further studies (English for Academic Purposes).
Students studying English have access to the Independent Learning Centre (ILC), student advisory and support services, computer and language laboratories, field trips and excursions, cultural studies, and language and social activities which allows them to experience and live the Australian University life. English language students also have access to all of La Trobe University's campus facilities.
There are two shifts for English language programs:
|Shift 1||9.00 to 11.00am||1.00 to 3.00pm|
|Shift 2||11.00am to 1.00pm||3.00 to 5.00pm|
Note: You must be available for either shift.
Students can participate in the free Learner Support Sessions to enhance their skills. These sessions may include:
- Academic Writing
- Conversion with La Trobe University Students
- English through drama
- IELTS preparation
- Listening through song
- Paraphrasing and summary writing
- Reading Skills
- Ready for work
- Speaking Skills
- Using the Media to learn English
- Vocabulary for academic writing
English Language Programs
Weekly Course Fees 2016 (Contact Hours: 20 hours per week)
- General English A$430
- English for Further Studies (EFS) A$430
Weekly Course Fees 2017 (Contact Hours: 20 hours per week)
- General English A$440
- English for Further Studies (EFS) A$440
Additional Fees and Services
- Enrolment and Orientation fee A$220
- ELICOS - students will need to purchase one textbook from the University bookshop every 10 weeks. The approximate cost of each textbook will be $50-$80.
- Accommodation Placement fee A$220 (*Students wishing to use this service must complete the relevant section on the application form, and pay with tuition and other fees. Every time you use this service to change accommodation, you will be required to pay an additional fee of A$100. *Please note this is non-refundable.)
- Airport Pick up - To assist you with your arrival in Melbourne, La Trobe Melbourne provides an airport pickup service. You will be met at the airport and transferred to your accommodation upon arrival. This service will cost A$120 (one way) or A$160 (return). Click here to download the Airport Pickup Request form.
- The request form must be submitted at least 3 working days before your arrival date. Airport pickup requests cannot be processed without a completed form.
- Keep a copy of your completed form for your reference. Once your airport pickup is booked you will receive a confirmation email.
- Any changes or cancellations must be made at least 72 hours before your arrival time.
- Carer Fee
- Initial 4 weeks is A$150
- Additional weeks (per week) A$35
*The Carer Fee is a compulsory fee for students under 18 years of age, studying at the College on a student visa until they turn 18.
- OSHC: Required for Student Visa
- Individual (Approx. per month) A$54
- Family (Approx. per month) A$142
*OSHC: Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is a compulsory Health Insurance plan for students who are on a student visa. OSHC is provided by Allianz Global Assistance. Rates are calculated monthly and are calculated according to the duration of your enrolment. For further details of OSHC, please refer to www.oshcallianzassistance.com.au.
Levels and Outcomes
English Program dates
Course dates 2016
|T1||07 Jan||11 Jan||12 Feb||26 Jan (Australia day)|
|T2||11 Feb||15 Feb||18 March||-|
|T3||17 March||21 March||29 Apr||25 April (ANZAC day)
25 - 31 March (Easter)
|T4||28 Apr||02 May||03 June||-|
|T5||09 June||14 June||15 July||13 June (Queen's birthday)|
|T6||14 July||18 July||19 Aug||-|
|T7||18 Aug||22 Aug||23 Sep||-|
|T8||29 Sep||03 Oct||04 Nov||1 Nov (Melbourne Cup)|
|T9||10 Nov||14 Nov||16 Dec||-|
Course dates 2017
|T1||05 Jan||09 Jan||10 Feb||26 Jan (Australia day)|
|T2||09 Feb||13 Feb||17 March||-|
|T3||16 March||20 March||28 Apr||14 - 18 April (Easter)
25 April (ANZAC day)
|T4||27 Apr||01 May||02 June||-|
|T5||08 June||13 June||14 July||12 June (Queen's birthday)|
|T6||13 July||17 July||18 Aug||-|
|T7||24 Aug||28 Aug||29 Sep||-|
|T8||28 Sep||02 Oct||03 Nov||07 Nov (Melbourne Cup)|
|T9||09 Nov||13 Nov||15 Dec||-|