Frequently asked questions

About La Trobe Melbourne

Q : What is La Trobe Melbourne?

A : La Trobe Melbourne has been in partnership with La Trobe University since 1996. La Trobe Melbourne is a popular choice for international students and provides quality pathway programs to over 60 undergraduate and postgraduate La Trobe University courses.

Q : What courses does La Trobe Melbourne offer?

A : La Trobe Melbourne offers:

  • Foundation studies which lead into La Trobe Melbourne diplomas or selected 1st year degree programs at La Trobe University

  • Diploma programs in Bioscience, Business, Engineering, Health Sciences, Information Technology, Media and Communications which lead into second year bachelor degrees at La Trobe University

  • English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (known as ELICOS) includes General English, English for Further Studies (English for Academic Purposes), plus English programs for specific purposes.

Q : Where is La Trobe Melbourne located?

A : La Trobe Melbourne courses are conducted at La Trobe University Melbourne Campus at Bundoora. Being located on campus enables students to access and enjoy all facilities and services, creating a smoother transition to their degree at La Trobe University.

Q : As La Trobe Melbourne is located on La Trobe University campuses, can La Trobe Melbourne students use the campus facilities and services?

A : Absolutely. As a La Trobe Melbourne student you are able to use all services and facilities at La Trobe University including the library and sports and aquatic centre. You are also able to join La Trobe University's clubs and societies.

Q : What year of my degree will I commence when I complete my Diploma?

A : Successful completion of a La Trobe Melbourne Diploma program will get you entry in to the second year of the relevant La Trobe University bachelor degree programs.

Q : What is the advantage of going to La Trobe Melbourne rather than doing first year University?

A : The advantages for students are many. Classes are much smaller than the usual university lecture size. La Trobe Melbourne students have more class time per subject than university which allows more time to understand the course.

Q : Are La Trobe Melbourne programs recognised by other Australian universities?

A : Yes. Many Australian universities recognise the La Trobe Melbourne Diploma programs. Advanced standing is given on an individual case basis.

Q : What is the composition of the student population at La Trobe Melbourne?

A : Students at La Trobe Melbourne are from many countries around the world. Most come from Middle East, Vietnam, China, Malaysia, Indonesia, Hong Kong and Sri Lanka.

Q : What if I need help with my studies whilst I am at La Trobe Melbourne?

A : If you have a problem with your studies it is important to get help as soon as possible. Always ask your teacher if you don't understand a concept or topic. Additional academic support is available to all foundation and diploma students by making an appointment with the Academic Skills Advisor. Extra maths support is also available. The Student Counsellor can be contacted if you have a problem that is affecting your study at La Trobe Melbourne.

Q : How far is La Trobe Melbourne from the CBD and how can I get there by public transport?

A : La Trobe Melbourne is located in Melbourne's north-eastern suburb of Bundoora, at the intersection of Waterdale and Crissane roads. It is 14 km from the city centre.

How to get there by public transport

Tram Route 86 runs from Docklands through the City via Burke St, and passes through Fitzroy, Northcote and Preston on its route past the La Trobe Medical Centre in Bundoora. The tram continues along Plenty Rd to its terminus at the RMIT Bundoora Campus.

There are a number of bus routes that go directly to the Melbourne campus or link with other services, such as trains on the Epping or Hurstbridge lines.

Bus Routes

Bus number Route
250 Garden City - La Trobe University, via City and Clifton Hill
350 City - La Trobe University via Eastern Freeway
510 Essendon - Ivanhoe Station, then the 548 to La Trobe University, or Tram 86 at High St
513 Glenroy Station - Eltham, to connect with Tram 86 at High St
548 Kew - La Trobe University, via Mont Park
550 Northland - La Trobe University
551 Heidelberg - La Trobe University Interchange
561 Macleod - Reservoir, via La Trobe University
562 Humevale - Greensborough Shopping Centre, to connect with Tram 86 at Plenty/McKimmies Rd
563 Northland Shopping Centre - Greensborough Plaza Shopping Centre, via Mill Park
564 Epping Shopping Centre - Northern Hospital, to connect with Tram 86 on Plenty Rd
566 Lalor - Northland, via Kingsbury, Greensborough, Watsonia, Bundoora, Mill Park
572 Doreen - University Hill (via Blossom Park, Mill Park, Botanica Park), to connect with Tram 86 on Plenty Rd
(Smart Bus)
Mordialloc to Altona, via Box Hill, Doncaster, Heidelberg, Coburg and Essendon, connect with 551 Bus at Heidelberg or Tram 86 on Plenty Rd

About the classes


Q : How are classes taught?

A : The number of class hours will vary depending on your course and the level you are studying. All classes will be divided into two or three blocks during the week. The teacher will spend some time in a lecture style and the rest will be as a tutorial in a classroom or a computer lab. It is important to be a proactive learner which means asking questions and contributing ideas in class or group discussions.

Q : What time are classes scheduled at La Trobe Melbourne?

A : Classes run from 8.30am - 6.30pm from Monday to Friday. You will study 20 hours per week in the diploma program and 21-24 hours per week in the foundation studies.

Q : How many subjects will I study each semester?

A :You will usually be studying from two to four subjects, depending on the length of your offer.

Q : How many intake dates are there each year?

A : There are three intakes per year - February, June and October.

Applying to La Trobe Melbourne

Q : How do I apply?

A : It is easy, click here and follow the instructions.

Q : How long will it take to receive an offer from La Trobe Melbourne?

A : It will only take 24 - 48 hours to receive an offer from La Trobe Melbourne.

Exemptions/Recognition for Prior Learning

Q : Can I apply for exemptions?

A : Yes, you can apply for exemptions for prior learning, which includes formal study undertaken in recognised tertiary institutions in Australia, including universities, colleges, TAFE and other post-secondary education institutions.

Q : How do I apply for exemptions?

A : Simply read through our Credit for Prior Learning page and follow the instructions.

Q : How many exemptions can I receive?

A : A maximum of four exemptions may be granted.

La Trobe Melbourne Entry requirements

Q : What are the entry requirements for La Trobe Melbourne?

A : Entry requirements are course specific and country specific. Click on the following link to find out more.

Q : Does La Trobe Melbourne accept mature age applicants?

A : Yes. La Trobe Melbourne accepts students who are aged 21 or over and have relevant experience or other appropriate qualifications.

Q : Does La Trobe Melbourne accept applicants under the age of 18 ?

A : Yes. La Trobe Melbourne accepts students from a minimum age of 17. (Please refer to this page for more details)

Fee Payment

Q : How do I pay my fees?

A : You can pay your fees by Telegraphic Transfer/Direct Deposit, Bank Draft/Bank Cheque or Credit Card.

Q : Are scholarships available at La Trobe Melbourne?

A : Yes, check out the following link for more information

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

Q : Do I have to have OSHC?

A : All international students must have OSHC. From 1 July 2010, The Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) changed the student visa requirements. Under condition 8501, international students will have to obtain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the proposed duration of their student visa. For students who will be undertaking a packaged course, there cannot be a gap in the OSHC coverage.

Q : What does OSHC Cover?

A : OSHC helps pay for medical and hospital care should you become ill during your stay in Australia. OSHC will also pay for most prescription drugs and emergency ambulance transport. OSHC will not cover any illness or disability that you had prior to arriving in Australia. It will also not cover ancillary services (for example, dental or optical services). If you require ancillary services you can take out extra OSHC, provided by an approved OSHC provider. Make sure you bring any optical or medical prescriptions with you to Australia.

Q : How much do I pay?

A : This will depend on the duration of your visa. La Trobe Melbourne will notify you of the costs in your offer letter.

Q : What if I already have OSHC?

A : If you already have OSHC please provide proof of coverage to La Trobe Melbourne before you accept your offer.


Q : What happens at Orientation and do I need to attend?

A : Yes, you definitely need to attend orientation as this is the day you will enrol in your subjects. You will also meet key staff at La Trobe Melbourne and be informed about the many services available to you as an La Trobe Melbourne student. It is also a great opportunity to meet future friends in your mentor guided groups.

Q : What do I need to bring to Orientation?

A : Bring your La Trobe Melbourne offer letter, a pen and your passport.

Q : What happens if I am late?

A : Please notify La Trobe Melbourne immediately if you cannot attend and you will be instructed about a late enrolment session.

Course Changes/Withdrawals

Q : Can I change my subjects after I have enrolled?

A : Usually the subjects are set for the course you are studying and are determined by your principal offer from La Trobe University. However, there may be some possibility for change. Ask the Academic Director or Coordinator for advice. After the first weeks of semester, it is not possible to change any subjects.

Q : How do I change my course?

A : International students may be eligible to change their course within La Trobe Melbourne. To apply for a "change of course" student must complete and submit the Change of enrolment form to La Trobe Melbourne Reception. Changing your course may have student visa implications and this must be discussed with your course coordinator prior to submitting the form.

Q : How do I withdraw from my course?

A : Students who wish to withdraw from a course must go to La Trobe Melbourne Reception for an appointment with Student Services to complete the Withdrawal form. Withdrawals will not be processed unless a form has been completed. Students are bound by the La Trobe Melbourne Refund Policy, applicable from the date of their original application to withdraw. International students who withdraw from a course will be reported to the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) within one week of the withdrawal being approved and will be required to return home within 28 days.


Q : Does La Trobe Melbourne hold a graduation ceremony?

A : Yes, La Trobe Melbourne organises a graduation ceremony for students who have successfully completed their study.

La Trobe Melbourne enrolled Students

Q : I am an enrolled student. Where do I get help and find out more about my course?

A : If you have specific questions, the friendly La Trobe Melbourne reception staff are always there to help.

Transferring to La Trobe University

Q : How do I transfer to La Trobe University?

A : There are specific academic guidelines that students must meet in order to transfer to La Trobe University. Click on the following link to find out more.

Q : How can I obtain more information about La Trobe University courses?

A : Simply go to the La Trobe University website: