English for Further Studies
English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) program includes General English and English for further studies (English for Academic Purposes).
Critical language and academic skills development. It is aimed at student seeking direct entry to a foundation studies program, diploma, undergraduate or postgraduate degree. Students gain vital skills and familiarity in an Australian academic setting; develop independent study techniques and gain an understanding of student/lecturer relations and expectations through:
- Library and project research
- Academic reading, listening and note taking
- Presentations and public speaking
- Academic essay and report writing
- Critical thinking and analysis
CRICS Code 079164E
English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (known as ELICOS) includes General English and English for further studies (English for Academic Purposes.
Students studying English have access to the Independent Learning Centre (ILC), student advisory and support services, computer and language laboratories, field trips and excursions, cultural studies, and language and social activities which allows them to experience the full Australian University life. English language students also have access to and use of La Trobe University's campus facilities.
There are two shifts for English language programs:
|Shift 1||9.00 to 11.00am||1.00 to 3.00pm|
|Shift 2||11.00am to 1.00pm||3.00 to 5.00pm|
Note: You must be available for either shift.
Students can participate in the free Learner Support Sessions to enhance their skills. These sessions may include:
- Academic Writing
- Conversion with La Trobe University Students
- English through drama
- IELTS preparation
- Listening through song
- Paraphrasing and summary writing
- Reading Skills
- Ready for work
- Speaking Skills
- Using the Media to learn English
- Vocabulary for academic writing
English Language Programs
Weekly Course Fees 2017 (Contact Hours: 20 hours per week)
- General English A$440
- English for Further Studies (EFS) A$440
Additional Fees and Services
- Enrollment and Orientation fee A$220
- ELICOS - students will need to purchase one textbook from the university bookshop every 10 weeks. The approximate cost of each textbook will be $50-$80.
- Airport Pick up - To assist you with your arrival in Melbourne, La Trobe Melbourne provides an airport pickup service. You will be met at the airport and transferred to your accommodation upon arrival. This service will cost A$120 (one way) or A$160 (return). Click here to download the Airport Pickup Request form.
- The request form must be submitted at least 3 working days before your arrival date. Airport pickup requests cannot be processed without a completed form.
- Keep a copy of your completed form for your reference. Once your airport pickup is booked you will receive a confirmation email.Any changes or cancellations must be made 72 hours before your arrival time
- Carer Fee
- Initial 4 weeks is A$150
- Additional weeks (per week) A$35
*The Carer Fee is a compulsory fee for students under 18 years of age, studying at the College on a student visa until they turn 18.
- OSHC: Required for Student Visa
- Individual (Approx. per month) A$54
- Family (Approx. per month) A$142
*OSHC: Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is a compulsory Health Insurance plan for students who are on a student visa. OSHC is provided by Allianz Global Assistance. Rates are calculated monthly and are calculated according to the duration of your enrolment. Fees are valid from 1 June 2010 and are subject to possible increase in 2011. For further details of OSHC, please refer to www.oshcallianzassistance.com.au.
Levels and Outcomes
English for Further Studies Entry requirements
|English Level||IELTS||TOEFL (iBT)||Pearson's||Exit to|
|EFS 3||4.5 (minimum writing score 4.5)||34||30||-|
|EFS 4||5.0 (minimum writing score 5.0)||40||36||Foundation Studies/ Diploma of Business/Diploma of IT|
|EFS 5||5.5 (minimum writing score 5.5)||55||42||Undergraduate degrees/Diploma of Health Sciences/Diploma of Bioscience/Diploma of Media and Communications|
|EFS 6||6.0 (minimum writing score 6.0)||75||50||Postgraduate programs|
Course dates 2017
|T1||05 Jan||09 Jan||10 Feb||26 Jan (Australia day)|
|T2||09 Feb||13 Feb||17 March||-|
|T3||16 March||20 March||28 Apr||14 - 18 April (Easter)
25 April (ANZAC day)
|T4||27 Apr||01 May||02 June||-|
|T5||08 June||13 June||14 July||12 June (Queen's birthday)|
|T6||13 July||17 July||18 Aug||-|
|T7||24 Aug||28 Aug||29 Sep||-|
|T8||28 Sep||02 Oct||03 Nov||07 Nov (Melbourne Cup)|
|T9||09 Nov||13 Nov||15 Dec||-|